All this self dot is making me...

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Thu Jun 3 23:07:53 EDT 1999

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 01:59:35 -0700, Jim Rudnicki wrote:
>To the beginner, having to type all these self. 's in class methods seems a
>bit painful.  So all three of these methods below do the same thing.  That

>For those of us who have less cartilage left in their hands, would it be
>acceptable to use "my." or better "me."  Or is self. strongly ingrained?
>The two less characters add up and the keys are on stronger fingers.

It's absolutely acceptable to use something else.  It's good to make it
clear, so "self" is the best, "this" works well, "me" and "my" are fine,
and "snowman" is abominable.

The reason you don't want to use external functions is that object
orientation doesn't work on them -- you can't override them.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!