Creating a new type with an extension module

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Tue Jun 22 09:43:12 EDT 1999

Sion Arrowsmith <siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
: In article <Ctp*vl52n at news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
: Sion Arrowsmith  <siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
:>http://www.python.org/doc/current/api/newTypes.html is unhelpful
:>in the extreme -- do I have to resort to reading source?

: It appears that I do, but thanks to everyone who pointed me in
: the direction of suitably readable source. I've got what I
: wanted working -- it would just be nice to understand why it
: works....

Mark Lutz's _Programming Python_ book explains this quite well (I still
use these parts today in fact).  He has two chapters on embedding and
extending Python.

But the documentation on extending Python is pretty well known
deficiency.  Luckily it is far easier than most languages, both to
accomplish and to understand (yet more kudos to Guido).  Actually, in
responce to your earlier posting, I started writing a _SHORT_ webpage
explaining what is needed, which I hope to have available later today.
I plan (and hope) to make it into a How-To later.

  -Arcege