Embedded Tcl for Python

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 13:52:18 EDT 1999

In article <3760F0A1.1DDC at mailserver.hursley.ibm.com>, Paul Duffin
<pduffin at mailserver.hursley.ibm.com> writes
>Michael P. Reilly wrote:
>>
>> A few weeks ago, someone asked if there was a Tcl module for Python.
>> People responded (including myself) that Tkinter uses a Tcl/Tk
>> interpreter, but you couldn't get rid of the annoying window.
>>
>> I've since written an extension ("pytcl") that creates Tcl interpreter
>> objects.  As part of that, I have also rewritten _tkinter to use these
>> new objects.
>>
>> I've had a short discussion with Guido and he's interested in the
>> idea.  Now I need some alpha testers; I only have access to UNIX boxes,
>> and very few types at that.
>>
>> The _tkinter module has the same functionality as before, including the
>> same threading issues.  I've include Deiter's Tcl/Tk8.1 patch but have
>> not had the opportunity to test that yet (right not it is just do-no-
>> damage).
>>
>> Contact me at arcege at shore.net if you are interested in helping me test
>> these modules.
>>

>I was interested in doing something similar in Tcl (e.g. creating a
>python interpreter object) and I was wondering if someone could give
>me some pointers as to how to go about doing it.

Paul I created a socket linked python interpreter and have used it with
reasonable success from Tcl. Latest code is at

http://www.jessikat.demon.co.uk in the file pyserver.zip

this may not be as efficient as havin the in core thing, but gets round
the problem of threading model problems etc.
--
Robin Becker