urllib: an alternative URLOpener

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Jun 14 11:42:14 EDT 1999

Ok.  There is now an alpha version of urllib2 available from my Web
page: http://the-tech.mit.edu/~jeremy/python/

I wrote this module because the current urllib is too hard to
customize.  It was difficult to use only a subset of the basic
functionality in FancyURLopener and the error reporting was
problematic.  I hope to have addressed both these issues with urllib2.

This code has not received extensive testing.  I expect that there are
a number of lurking bugs.  There is too much diversity on the Web for
my own testing to have covered all the possible cases.  I'd appreciate
bug reports, comments on the design, requests for new features, etc.
Most of all, I need suggestions for a name; urllib2 is a clunker.

I expect to make one or two more alpha releases, as I finalize the
feature set.  I've got no timetable in mind, although I have a
vacation in August, which would be an appropriate time to make a final
release.

Jeremy