Newbie question: DOS console commands?

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Sat Jun 12 07:15:12 EDT 1999

> I'm new to Python this week and was wondering if there are any console
> commands to use on a DOS screen (e.g. ClearScreen, GotoXY, Foreground and
> Background colors, etc.)
>
> I've got PythonWin running on Windows 95 and am having fun learning the
> language and Tkinter, but I have a need to write a simple DOS interface
> program.  I could pull out my copy of TurboPascal, but I'd like to write it
> in Python to further my education.

I happen to maintain a Python version for DOS, which has *some*
support for screen manipulation. Due to the little interest in a DOS
Python, I never really looked into this, I just kludged together a
few modules and functions. <rant> Now if this stupid little #&#*(@(
computer vendor had provided me with a well-working box, I would have
been able to look at it right now and maybe write a few extra
functions... but since they didn't, I'm unable to update Python-DX
(and my snippets page) at this moment. I will in the (hopefully near)
future though. </rant>

Meanwhile, you could check out Python-DX at
http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/html/python-dx.html . Check out modules
like _conio and _pc. (There are wrapper modules for them, but they're
part of a separate library, which I have different plans with.)

If you're really wanting to use this extensively I will update my
modules and docco as soon as I can.

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (ivnowa at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon