Python for large projects?

Janko Hauser jhauser at ifm.uni-kiel.de
Sun Jun 27 13:39:39 EDT 1999

Jody Winston <jody at ldgo.columbia.edu> writes:

> I've used Python for three large distributed applications (each > 100k
> lines of Python).  The only other recommendation that I would add is
> to define interfaces to the code.  If this is done with a product like
> ILU or FNORB, you can then easily call the Python code from other
> languages.  In addition, you can replace critical sections with other
> languages if needed.

I have thought about this as the perfect way to do ``data hiding'',
publish only special interfaces for your data. Has this a significant
overhead, if used on one machiene, or is it overkill just for this
purpose :-)?

__Janko

--
  Institut fuer Meereskunde             phone: 49-431-597 3989
  Dept. Theoretical Oceanography        fax  : 49-431-565876
  Duesternbrooker Weg 20                email: jhauser at ifm.uni-kiel.de
  24105 Kiel, Germany