[Python|Crypto] on handhelds (was Re: Thanks for Python...)

Mordy Ovits movits at lockstar.com
Tue Jun 29 10:35:42 EDT 1999

William Tanksley wrote:
> I have a certain amount of leeriness about posting advocacy on unrelated
> NGs, so I'll limit myself to saying that the difference is years, not
> miles.  The two machines work differently: one is a glorified organizer,
> the other is a pocket computer.  Both of them can fool you into thinking
> they're something else, because they're both powerful.
>
> I need a personal organizer.

To each his own. :-)  Don't you wish all flame were required to end like that
(i.e. before they started?)

> >> I used Quartus on my Crypto exam to solve a modular equation after I
> >> forgot how to solve modular equations (I had it use brute force).
>
> >Wow!  I wish I had had my E100 when I was in college.  I just realized how
> >awesome that would have been. :-)
>
> Oh yeah.
>
> Actually, I sometimes miss my old OmniGo, which was a pocket computer, in
> spite of being slower than the Pilot for some tasks.  I really needed the
> glorified organizer (and had been fooled into thinking that the OmniGo was
> one), but the OmniGo had some abilties that the Pilot doesn't.

I'm not familiar with the OmniGo.  Got a link for me?

> >The SECOND time I saw that sig was in ESR's mail.  The first was mine.  I doubt
> >ESR copied mine, but who knows? :-)
>
> You mean you wrote it?  If so, there seems to have crept into it a bug --
> one of the implicit unpackings don't work.

No, I didn't write it.  It was written by the all-talented AMK.  I did write a
nifty version of Bruuce Schneier's Solitaire algorithm, though.  check out:

http://www.counterpane.com/solitaire.html

Mordy

--
o Mordy Ovits