Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Fri Jun 25 14:28:55 EDT 1999

Mikael Lyngvig wrote:

> I'd like some discussion on whether or not it is a good idea to
> abandon TkInter,

Yes, it's a good idea, I vote.

> before it gets too widely used, and instead adopt
> wxPython as the primary GUI framework for Python.

I trace the mailing lists for the wxWindows itself and wxPython. As I
understand, Robin Dunn *alone* tries to keep in sync with the wxWindows,
which is *very* intensively developed by a dozen or more of active
contributors. It seems that if it were more possible to extend wxPython
and let it do more collaboratively it would be best we can gain for a
native Python GUI. (Probably I'm not absolutely correct in all of my
observations, unfortunately I do not have enough spare time to participate
in wxPython deeper).

I'm also glad to observe that wxWindows community is *very* friendly to
wxPython. It even extends its manual to describe in detail small
deviations which wxPython imposes on the underlying toolkit to let it look
and feel more Pythonically.

Alexander