Embedded Tcl for Python

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Thu Jun 10 14:45:37 EDT 1999

A few weeks ago, someone asked if there was a Tcl module for Python.
People responded (including myself) that Tkinter uses a Tcl/Tk
interpreter, but you couldn't get rid of the annoying window.

I've since written an extension ("pytcl") that creates Tcl interpreter
objects.  As part of that, I have also rewritten _tkinter to use these
new objects.

I've had a short discussion with Guido and he's interested in the
idea.  Now I need some alpha testers; I only have access to UNIX boxes,
and very few types at that.

The _tkinter module has the same functionality as before, including the
same threading issues.  I've include Deiter's Tcl/Tk8.1 patch but have
not had the opportunity to test that yet (right not it is just do-no-
damage).

Contact me at arcege at shore.net if you are interested in helping me test
these modules.

  -Arcege