Python GUIs: Summary and Conclusion

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at pobox.com
Wed Jun 30 19:51:17 EDT 1999

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:27:57 +0200, Gerrit Holl
<gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:

>I think one could also make an application "multiple-interface". The user can
>choose: svgalib (any support in python, by the way?), curses, commandline,
>tk, qt/kde or some of the other stuff. The developer can put the interface
>in a seperate class or even in a seperate module (I'll do with my discoverb
>project (see signature)), so the user can exactly download what he want. I
>believe KDE users would like KDE applications...

I think that would be a good idea, but I don't think it is directly
related to the issue at hand.  Such an API would certainly be slower
than the actual implentation and the problem is, IMHO, that the actual
implementation (of Tk) is too slow to be really interesting.

As a matter of fact, I've always wished that I could make my apps so
they took an option, say -ui:name, what would allow the user to
specify which kind of user interface it had:

   bui - batch user interface; Unix style command-line interface.
   cui - console user interface; Unix curses interface.
   gui - graphical user interface; X/Windows style interface.

That way the user could use the application in any way he/she like,
without having to resort to Win32 COM (automation server) APIs etc.

-- Mikael