Python 2.0

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Wed Jun 2 10:55:12 EDT 1999

In article <3754F5D7.2B6E1954 at pop.vet.uu.nl>,
Martijn Faassen  <M.Faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote:

>* The predictability of reference counting is nice in the simple case.
>In the complex case, you get into a mess of circular references too
>easily, though.
>
>* In the complex case, garbage collecting is nice as it cleans up
>circular references. There are unwanted side-effects of its
>unpredictability, though; a possible leaking of resources (files which
>aren't closed), and some difficulties interfacing with C.

It might make more sense to simply add tools to locate and stomp
circular references, perhaps augmented by explicit calls to delete
specific instances of circular references.

I'm curious: does GC provide any advantages other than its ability to
deal with circular references?
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"NRE is a lot like cocaine. Feels great while you're on it, makes you
feel very special and talented, and you become highly annoying to those
who aren't on it."  -- Stef