Python 2.0

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jun 3 15:25:48 EDT 1999

In article <7j6jnl$58f$3 at cronkite.cc.uga.edu>,
Graham Matthews <graham at sloth.math.uga.edu> wrote:

>Why is it so hard for people to see that adding a mark sweep collector
>*ON TOP OF* the existing ref count scheme essentially changes nothing.
>All the current ref count behaviour that people love will stay. The
>only additional behaviour will be that circular refs are mopped up
>correctly.

I don't disagree with this; I only claim that GC should only happen by
explicit call from the programmer.  I also claim that there should be a
debug mode for GC that merely informs the programmer about cyclic
references so that zie can locate their source (and that this should be
the primary mode for GC).
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"NRE is a lot like cocaine. Feels great while you're on it, makes you
feel very special and talented, and you become highly annoying to those
who aren't on it."  -- Stef