urllib: an alternative URLOpener

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Wed Jun 16 10:26:18 EDT 1999

In article <slrn7mef1g.1b0.davecook at sputnik.escnd1.sdca.home.com>,
David M. Cook <davecook at home.com> wrote:

>Please forgive the naive question, but how does one get the "realm" info
>from a site?

IIRC, the challenge contains that info.  urllib should be handling this
automatically; if you want to see what it is directly, I don't know if
there's a Python mechanism, but you can do something like this:

% telnet www.foo.com 80
GET / HTTP/1.0\n
\n
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"That doesn't stop me from wanting to work all three of them over with
the clue stick for while, with no safewords allowed."  --abostick