Alien whitespace eating nanovirus strikes again!

Martijn Faassen faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl
Thu Jun 3 04:47:46 EDT 1999

Mark Hammond wrote:

[Aahz Maruch does not like block indenting a lot]

> Of course, this is your HO.  Many other people (including myself) found that
> a few weeks in, they thought "this is great", and many years later, can't
> believe that other language still hold on to the "old ways".  When I take a
> quick look at some of the new little languages referenced on this newsgroup,
> believe it or not, my _first_ reaction is "God those block closers are
> stupid and ugly" :-)

I never was much afraid of this indentation means block structure thing,
probably not having been spoiled by other languages that are horrid and
practice it, so it was mostly a neat discovery. Now, I am less than a
year in and I already have the same reaction to other languages. "Neat
language..but ick, what are those block closers for?" Just the other day
I was looking at some pseudocode in a book and my eyes kept stumbling
over the block closers.

I must say that Emacs Python mode helps tremendously in this respect,
though. Without it or something similar block indentation wouldn't be as
easy (though I've found I can code in Windows Notepad too if I really
want to :).

Regards,

Martijn