Python 2.0

Graham Matthews graham at sloth.math.uga.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:52:47 EDT 1999

Donn Cave (donn at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: You're in good company here, I think the leading lights of the Python
: world all prefer explicit termination in these cases.  Ref counting sure
: offers a great convenience here, though.  Files close and flush their
: buffers, dialogues disappear, all in accordance with their programmatic
: lifetime.  I personally will miss this finalization more than any resource
: management if reference counting is taken away.

You seem to believe that garbage collection implies no reference counts.
Why do you believe that? (a lot of GC schemes use reference counts).
You also seem to believe that with GC finalisation will disappear. Why
do you believe that (a lot of GC schemes have finalisation). Finally I
believe you are mis-using finalisation if you use it to close up files,
sockets, etc. That's what close calls are for.

graham
--
             Like a bird on a wire
        Like a drunk in a midnight choir