Why is tcl broken?

Fernando Mato Mira matomira at iname.com
Thu Jun 10 08:44:35 EDT 1999

Ian Wild wrote:

> Fernando Mato Mira wrote:
>
> >   I'm trying to collect a list of all the _current_ issues making tcl
> > a bad language choice. I'd like concrete examples,
>
> Without knowing what you're choosing it FOR, how
> can anyone legitimately say it's a bad choice?

Choosing for nothing in particular. It's mainly
a language design question (syntax/semantics).
Although if there're other kinds of problems when
trying to use it in the realm it was designed for, that
would also be interesting.

> >   Note that I've not listed comp.lang.tcl for increased productivity,
> > and to avoid starting a flame war.
>
> Yeah - right.  And no Tcl users ever read here?

Obviously not. The idea was avoid the usual `Why does XYZ suck' flame
bait on comp.lang.XYZ as far as possible, and not irritate and waste XYZ
users' time on issues that some ABC user will point out as false.

There's some tcl lawyer close to me. That's why I did not ask about
the advantages. But nobody knows everything, so in order to make answers
easier to catalogue, I suggest starting another one, "Why is tcl better"
for that.

Thank you for your help,

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira