tkMessageBox returns 'can't invoke "frame" command:' error

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 24 13:09:47 EDT 1999

tlng at phileo.com.my wrote:
> If I import my script above for the first time, my script runs fine.
> However, after I quit my script and try to reload my script at the
> Python interpreter by typing reload(myscriptname), I get the error
> message: "TclError: Can't invoke "frame" command:". Actually, it is
> quite a long-winded error message, I'm just giving the last line.

you could try passing the root window to askyesno, like
this:

reply = tkMessageBox.askyesno("foo", "bar!", master=rootWindow)

no guarantees, though.

> > The actuall error is caused by the Tk mainloop cannot be restarted,
> > obviously Tkinter was never designed to support what you're doing
> > here.
>
> Oh, you mean I can't reload my script if my script contains Tkinter
> calls? How do you test your Tkinter scripts then?

well, dejanews has the answer, as usual:

>    "Incidently, in a recent project, we successfully used a combination of
>    random generators, chimps, and 3-year olds to produce the actual code
>    base, while the engineers concentrated their efforts on testing."

(since then, all the engineers have quit. go figure...)

> What I usually do is, I write my Python script in a text editor, switch
> to the Python interpreter and reload my script to see if my script is
> working. Since I can't do this with Tkinter scripts, does that mean
> everytime I want to retest my Tkinter scripts, I have to quit Python
> and restart Python?

I usually type ctrl-C twice to test my code.  maybe you
could train your editor to do something similar for you?

> > The cause of your problem seems be partly that you actually
> > expected this to work, putting lots of code in a module
> > initialisation is not good style.
>
> That bit about "putting lots of code in a module initialisation" just
> went over my head. What did I do that constitutes "module
> initialisation"? I've reposted my sample script below so you can point
> it out to me easily.

code that's not in a def or a class are executed when you
run your program as a script, *and* if you import your pro-
gram as a module.  it's usually better to put the important
stuff in a function instead, by various reasons (it runs faster,
it's easier to deal with the day you decide to turn your code
into a module, etc, etc).

</F>