dict vs kjBuckets vs ???

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Sun Jun 13 12:52:53 EDT 1999

In article <000801beb3b1$5c5af240$329e2299 at tim>,
Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>[MK]
>> I plan to write a program that would store lots (in range of 10M or even
>> more) of relatively small objects (a few hundred bytes at most), so what
>> do you think I should use?
>
>Let's do a little math <wink>:  10M * 100 = ?, a lower bound on what you're
>contemplating.  Do you have gigabytes of RAM?

That might actually be reasonable, if you do a little more math. RAM
is going for about a dollar a meg right now, so 2 gigs of RAM will
cost around $2000. This is price-competitive with tying up a
programmer for a week or two.

I'm always surprised by how effective brute force and ignorance can
be. :)

Neel