Python 2.0

Graham Matthews graham at sloth.math.uga.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:07:00 EDT 1999

Graham Matthews <graham at sloth.math.uga.edu> wrote:
>Why is it so hard for people to see that adding a mark sweep collector
>*ON TOP OF* the existing ref count scheme essentially changes nothing.
>All the current ref count behaviour that people love will stay. The
>only additional behaviour will be that circular refs are mopped up
>correctly.
Aahz Maruch (aahz at netcom.com) wrote:
: I don't disagree with this; I only claim that GC should only happen by
: explicit call from the programmer.  I also claim that there should be a
: debug mode for GC that merely informs the programmer about cyclic
: references so that zie can locate their source (and that this should be
: the primary mode for GC).

I don't understand why you want GC only by explict call and in "inform"
mode only?

graham
--
          The fool escaped from paradise