Variations on a theme by "pound bang"

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Jun 15 11:17:01 EDT 1999

James Logajan wrote:
> Christian Tismer wrote:
> > Uses the env program which is allways there, to figure out
> > from the environment settings which python to use.
> Alas, this is a myth. Not all Unixen put env in /usr/bin, some put it in
> /bin. I can't recall if it was Solaris (probably not) or LynxOS (probably)
> that put env in /bin. Anyway, I got bit by it.

I think it's a case of the 80/20 rule.  *Most* Unix variants put env it
in /usr/bin these days.  (I think there was a thread about this when the
topic came up in the past couple of years.) In fact, it appears that
/bin is falling out of favor for most tools, at least on Linux:

    % ls /bin | wc -l
         86		(18 are symlinks)
    % ls /usr/bin | wc -l
        969		(97 are symlinks)

I don't seem to recall that being the case in the "good old days".

--
Skip Montanaro	| Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music"
http://www.mojam.com/