python active web pages

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey at Digicool.com
Fri Jun 4 19:06:43 EDT 1999

> does anyone else use active web pages? surely all you python/web hackers
> don't just use CGI scripts?

No, that's why Gods created Bobo ;-)

Actually, here's another alternative that's only gone non-updated since
late november:: (Uses JPython and Servlets)

http://www.dstc.edu.au/aspy/

A _long_ time ago (about three years methinks), I did something like all
this based on the only web application server/platform (besides Zope) that
I really respect, WebObjects, called Pummel.

It had a syntax for putting code on the page, and then addressing it later.
In that phase it was _fairly_ simple.  But then it started trying to be a
little bit like Bobo (mainly:: i wanted more powerful components that I
could share).  And once I actually figured out Bobo and DTML, I put the
project away.  I don't even know where the source is anymore.

Basically, it looked like:

<HTML><HEAD>....
<APYML>
import foobar
import hti

hello=hti.Input(type='text', name='uname', value=uname)
</APYML>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM ACTION...>
<PYML NAME="hello"></PYML>
<INPUT TYPE="submit">
</FORM>
</BODY></HTML>

(hti was a very very very very simple HTMLGen-ish module without the smarts
that HTMLGen has.  Remember this was many many many moons ago).

I'm about to unplug and go into a sooperfire weekend, but one quick
question:  is there any reason why Zope isn't an option for what you're
doing?  It seems like all these pseudo-ASP-ish projects get to about a 0.8
release functionality and then die off (my own PYML project included).
HTMLGen and Bobo seem to be the most widely supported and up-to-date
options from what I've seen over the past few years.

There used to be something called "Boilerplate" (Broilerplate?) listed on
the Python web site that did ASP-esque stuff too.  Again, I don't know how
current the development is on that one either.

.jPS | jeffrey at digicool.com
zope, through the web. www.zope.org