Python 2.0 (perhaps off topic)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue Jun 1 13:47:06 EDT 1999

  PP> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
  >> |But note that Python's guarantees are more important in small,
  >> simple |programs and Java's guarantees are better for large,
  >> complex programs with |complicated data structures.
  >>
  >> Do you really mean Python the object-oriented programming
  >> language rarely treat complicated data structures?

  PP> No, I said that Python is optimized for basic users, not for the
  PP> experts.  The experts can figure out how to work around
  PP> problems. The beginning users cannot. "I'm opening all of the
  PP> files in a directory in a loop and in large directories I get
  PP> out of file handle errors."

I don't think this is a good example.  Even beginning users are going
to have to learn a little about resource management about some point.
People should not rely on files getting deallocated and closed by
Python.  All the beginners who start with JPython are going to get
Java's GC.  And they're going to need to close the files by hand.

Jeremy