"Programming Python" still worthwhile?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed Jun 9 00:48:00 EDT 1999

Rick Robino writes:

> I've been watching this group for some time and just now getting
> warm to Python. Looking at source examples has been great, but for
> completeness' sake I'd like to get more of the "why" maybe found in
> a book. Since Python is at 1.5.2 and people are talking about 2.0 as
> if it's around the corner, I was wondering if anyone here could give
> me some advice as to whether or not "Programming Python" is useful,
> if the current edition is still current, if I should wait for the
> "Learning Python", or if I should use some other resources.

Python 2 is around a really, really big corner, and then down the
block quite a ways. Python 1.6 sometime in 2000 (which will be
backwards compatible), so no 2 until 2001 or 2002.

Learning Python is on the shelves. Haven't read it. Nobody's
flamed it, and that's a _very_ good sign. There's only a few things
out of date in PP, and you'll find updates on Mark's web site. I
liked PP very much (and the difficult to find Internet Programming
with Python, Watters et al, M&T books). When Mark wrote PP, he
thought it might be the only Python book ever, so he stuffed in
everything he could think of. So don't feel bad if you skip stuff.