SWIG and binary strings?

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Mon Jun 28 00:57:04 EDT 1999

ngps at madcap.dyn.ml.org (Ng Pheng Siong) writes:
> In article <al8pv2nwnny.fsf at myntti.helsinki.fi>,
> Markus Stenberg  <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote:
> >I've swig'ed OpenSSL library for my Python needs.
> Me too!
> Well, I've only done RSA and block ciphers, since that's
> what my application needs for now. (Ok, one block cipher.
> Adding more block ciphers looks like cut-&-paste to me.)

Ah, I've concentrated on SSL itself (TLS actually, but still; full TLS/SSL
functionality, no ciphers whatsoever wrapped). I wish someone wrapped whole
OpenSSL and maintained it.. ;-) (I'd do it, but I'm too lazy by half)

> >Is there any elegant way to make SWIG generate s# automatically (as opposed
> >to s, and requiring unneccessary length parameter and much whining if
> >string has 0's?)
> >
> >My (ugly) solution was following:
> Dunno if my solution qualifies as ugly, but here's what I do:

It does; I'd prefer solution that didn't sacrifice any speed (although,
admittedly, I guess your approach's overhead isn't very high) because
esp. SSL_write is called fairly often ;-) Also, being transparent to the
user wouldn't hurt (.. count length of strings? isn't this Century of the
Fruitbat?)

I thought of that as well.. Oh well. Hoped there was some really elegant
solution I was just missing ;-)

> Cheers.
> --
> Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at post1.com>

-Markus Stenberg

--
"Schizophrenia, like the Unicorn, is described in various ways by
various people. And its elimination, like the capture of the Unicorn,