GC In Python: YAS (Yet Another Summary)

Andrew Dalke dalke at bioreason.com
Sun Jun 27 20:41:33 EDT 1999

Vladimir Marangozov <Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr> said:
> you seem to overlook one of the nicest features of pymalloc. If
> the extension module works in current Python + libc malloc, it
> will work with Python + pymalloc because of the dynamic block
> management.

Ahh, but as I found out trying 1.5.2beta, the library we use
requires libmalloc, and not the libc malloc; it wants mallopt.

To make things worse, it doesn't actually *use* that function.
It contains an internal function which references mallopt but the
header files don't list the internal function so none of our code
uses it.  We only need the -lmalloc for creating shared libs with
1.5.2.  I believe their current version removed this requirement.

						Andrew
						dalke at bioreason.com