GC In Python: YAS (Yet Another Summary)

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr
Sun Jun 27 18:05:25 EDT 1999

A not very modest plug

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Andrew Dalke, worries about Boehm collection vs Fortran]
> Despite all that, it would probably work fine for you.  I think it's a dead
> issue here regardless, though, because Guido isn't going to tell anyone they
> have to use a particular routine for memory allocation.  Python could use
> its own malloc for its own objects (& Vladimir Marangozov has written a very
> nice PyMalloc, available from his Starship page), but

Thanks for the compliment, but ...

> that breaks down as soon as any extension has its own view of how to get memory.

I can't let you say this (heh, it's too late ;-) because you seem to
overlook one of the nicest features of pymalloc. If the extension module
works in current Python + libc malloc, it will work with Python +
pymalloc
because of the dynamic block management. IOW, if one recompiles the core
with pymalloc instead of the usual libc malloc, everything should work
as before, even *without* recompiling any extension or 3rd party
modules.
The concept is simple, but useful. I told you that pymalloc is tricky
;-)

       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr