High performance Python on NT

alex at monsoon.swcp.com alex at monsoon.swcp.com
Sun Jun 13 01:51:59 EDT 1999

"Bruno Mattarollo" <bmatt at acm.org> writes:

> 	I am about to start a project where I will need to do some high
> performance Web CGI scripts on WinNT ... I have no choice ... I know
> it's not the best combination. It's not my decision ;-) I am looking
> for some advice. Is it better if I use some kind of Active Python
> Scripting Page (ASP but with Python)? Or just doing CGI with threads
> it will be fine... ?

CGI is simply not high performance. If you throw enough hardware at it,
I can be OK, but if you are getting a large amount of hits, the overhead
of starting Python interpreter (or Perl or whatever) every time a script
is head, is going to kill you.

PHP as an Apache module is a speed demon.

As was suggested already, look closely at Zope (www.zope.org) or the
components Zope is built from. It uses a daemon for the python
interpreter, thus elimiting the overhead of CGI.

I was doing a test last night on Zope, and it easily handled several
hits per second on my old P133 linux box.

--
Alex Rice    |    alrice at swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA