COM with Python?

Dan L. Pierson dan at control.com
Thu Jul 8 10:51:04 EDT 1999

"Mark Hammond" <MHammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:
> Ive never needed to implement a singleton, but my personal solution (from
> someone else I cant recall in those threads) would be to implement the
> functionality in a single Python object and have the COM objects delegate to
> it.  Thus you dont really have a singleton COM object (as you are giving off
> as many as necessary) but by keeping the functionality and state in a single
> Python object you are can get the same result (for most cases!)

This is probably the right thing to do in any case.  There are a lot
of practical problems with implementing real COM singletons.  This is
covered in gory detail in "Effective COM" topic 4: "Beware the COM
singleton".  Your approach is essentially what they recommend (modulo
programming langauge :-)).

Dan Pierson, Control Technology Corporation
dan at control.com