Python for the PalmPilot and Other Devices

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Thu Jul 8 21:55:16 EDT 1999

Nick Bower wrote:
> Probably something most are already aware of is that the
> Palm's occupy over 70% PIM market share I think.  I can't
> remember the exact figure.  What were the reasons for
> developing for CE?  Easier because the Windows interpretter
> already existed?

You'd have to ask Brian Lloyd the original reasons for porting
Python to his pathetic little 2MB CE device. ;-)  Now that CE's
got 16-32MB direct from the factory, well, grins all around.

In regards to the PIM market, the race does not always go the
swift or to Microsoft <0.7 wink> but that's where the smart
money bets. (*)

Seriously, I'd like for there to be a Python port to Palm Pilot
and even Symbian <http://www.symbian.com> but nobody's stepped
up to the plate.  BTW, the Python/Pilot port question appears
to always originate from a _current_ Pilot owner.  No surprise
there, but a slightly different emphasis from: "I want to run
Python on a PDA.  What devices should I consider?"

The CE devices have some advantages.  There is a wide diversity
in models (palm sized, handhelds, even laptop sized units) and
vendors (at least a dozen or so).  The Win32 development heritage
is reasonably well-understood, if often cursed.  The CE platform
includes a lot of built-in features (support for TCP/IP, sockets,
IrDa).  Microsoft is using its clout to move CE into automobiles
and cable set-tops.  True, CE represents a capitulation to a well
known software vendor, but ...

as-a-former-Newton-owner-you-haven't-seen-proprietary-until-
you-deal-with-PDA-hardware-vendors-ly yr's,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.

(*) Where can I find the _dumb_ money?  The smart money keeps
eluding me.