XML-RPC

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Jul 14 01:10:45 EDT 1999

Blake Winton wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:27:25 GMT, Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
> >Phil Hunt wrote:
> >> Does anyone know if an XML-RPC server exists for Python?
> >> There's a python XML-RPC client at www.pythonware.com/products/xmlrpc/
> >> but I'm not aware of a Python server).
> >I think that you want to look at Zope.
>
> I think that's a bit misleading...  The XML-RPC client also contains an
> implementation of an XML-RPC server.  You don't need to bring Zope into
> the picture at all.

Sorry, I interpreted the question as "how do I publish Python objects
through XML-RPC". I'm fuzzy on what a "RPC server" is. Here's my
interpretation: as a generic FTP server serves files, so an RPC server
should serve callable object return codes and exceptions? Zope would do
that. xmlrpcserver is more like an "FTP server shell" which doesn't serve
files but can be extended to...a BaseRPCServer like BaseHTTPServer.

But I admit that the distinction between shell and server is blurry. Now
the questioner has the information necessary to make his decision.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

To me programming is more than an important practical art. It is
also a gigantic undertaking in the foundations of knowledge.
	- Grace Hopper