Tk and a little headache (installation troubles)

Brett Gengler genglerb at no_spam.uwplatt.edu
Fri Jul 23 21:34:52 EDT 1999

For some strange reason I'm having trouble getting the tk libray to work
with python.  I've installed tk & tcl 8.2 with a standard install.  I've
also sucessfully (or so I thought) re-compiled Python after editing the
Modules/Setup file.  I am able to import _tkinter but if I try to kick
up a quick window with say:
from Tkinter import *
widge1 = Label(None, text="Please, Please work! ")

I get a traceback error(in quotes):

"Traceback (innermost last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/local/Python-1.5.2/Lib/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1410, in
__init__
        Widget.__init__(self, master, 'label',cnf, kw)
    File "/usr/local/Python-1.5.2/Lib/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1410, in
__init__
        BaseWidget._setup(self, master, cnf)
    File "/usr/local/Python-1.5.2/Lib/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1410, in
__init__
        _default_root = Tk()
    File "/usr/local/Python-1.5.2/Lib/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1410, in
__init__
        self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a useable init.tcl in the following directories:

This probably means the Tcl wasn't installed properly. "

Okay, well after reinstalling everingthing just for kicks I began trying
to figure out a way for Tcl to find init.tcl.
in my path(in 'profile') I added "export TCL_LIBRARY =
/usr/local/lib/tcl8.2 "  but that didn't seem to work.  I thought
that just maybe it might have something to do with the Setup file having
the wrong path. "TKPATH :=lib-tk" is what it's set to.   I'm still
fairly new to Linux (Slackware 4.0) so I'm sure this is some dumb newbie
error <wink>  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?