problem with win32 install

Jim Kerr jbkerr at sr.hp.com
Tue Jul 6 18:13:38 EDT 1999

  I just tried installing the win32all package, and the installation
mysteriously failed. I don't remember the exact phrasing, but
something
to the effect of

  AXScript and Python COM registration failed:
    a device attached to the system is not functioning

  Hoping this was just a bogus error message, I tried loading a win32
module:

-- [C:/MKS] python
Python 1.5.2 (#0, Apr 13 1999, 10:51:12) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import win32com.client
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 8,
in ?
    import dynamic, CLSIDToClass, pythoncom
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 22,
in ?
    import pythoncom
ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
functioning.

  The installation was done on an HP laptop running win95, with an
external floppy
drive attached. I can't figure out what 'attached device' this message
is referring
to.

  Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated!

					-Jim

Jim Kerr
Hewlett-Packard
Santa Rosa Systems Division