Tkinter._test() problem Tcl/Tk8.1 incompatibility python-1.5.2

Bill Barendse bill.barendse at tag.csiro.au
Mon Jul 5 20:36:05 EDT 1999

Hi Everyone,

I believe that Tcl/Tk 8.1 is incompatible with python-1.5.2 due to the
following experiences.

I use a SPARC ultra running solaris 2.6 with GCC 2.8.1 as a C compiler.
I downloaded python-1.5.2 earlier this month built and tested it and all
implemented tests worked.

I then downloaded Tcl/Tk8.1, built those in the proper order, tested
them and installed them.  Tcl failed the ASCII vs ISO character set test
(not surprising since I only have ASCII) and Tk failed the focus test.

I made clobber and rebuilt python specifying the locations, and
installed after setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.  I got the same
answer as Per Kistler - can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
directories - no directories specified.

I checked and rebuilt python (YES) several times since a have a usable
Tcl/Tk.

I then downloaded Tcl/Tk 8.0p2, built and tested (it failed more tests
than Tcl/Tk 8.1), rebuilt python and Tkinter generated the 'Hello World'
widget.

There are significant differences in the init.tcl of the two packages (I
can provide a diff of the files for those that are interested) but I do
not know enough about Tkinter to be able to say what it is about the
init.tcl8.1 or the rest of the Tcl/Tk8.1 distribution that makes it
incompatible.  The distribution notes that come with Tcl/Tk8.1 note
several bug fixes that will generate "***POTENTIAL INCOMPATIBILITY***"

There is no note on the python homepage about this incompatibility.

Cheers,

Bill Barendse

Bill.Barendse at tag.csiro.au
Comonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australia.