MS-SQL Server:Connectivity Help...

Andy Robinson andy at robanal.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 16:00:22 EDT 1999

"Edward B. Wilson II" <zero at ecom.net> wrote:

>I would like to introduce Python with a bang to my new work group.  Does
>anyone have a driver to "insert" a single row into an MS-SQL server7.0
>db.  It appears from the main Python page, one must compile their own
>ODBC drivers with VC++ to get the most robust solution.  Can anybody
>comment on this shortcoming.  Getting Python to work for MS_SQL/NT would
>be a big entrance.

I'd thoroughly recommend mxODBC.  One huge advantage is the DateTime
objects, which offer capabilities to make database developers drool.
Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you don't lose any performance using
Microsoft ODBC drivers for Microsoft's own database!

You can do two lines of Python to grab a whole query into Python
variables; manipulate it; then do another line to insert the lot into
another table.    One row at a time?  pah!

You can also tell your colleagues that it is working with prepared
statements for optimum performance.

Regards,

Andy