OS/2 Python: editing in interactive use

Stefan Schwarzer Stefan.Schwarzer at tu-clausthal.de
Wed Jul 14 19:08:47 EDT 1999

Hello Michael

Thank you for your help!

Michael Hudson schrieb:
> Stefan Schwarzer <Stefan.Schwarzer at tu-clausthal.de> writes:
> > It seems to me that the OS/2 port of python lacks the
> > "sophisticated" features for input editing (history,
> > C-A, C-E, etc.)
>
> Those features are provided by readline. I doubt readline works on
> OS/2, though you could have a look. A search on google turned up a
> reference to a Python readline module for win32, though the site seems
> to be off net, at least temporarily.

At least I found the GNU readline lib for the emx compiler for
OS/2 (on "Hobbes"). However, Python/2 is compiled with the IBM
Visual Age compiler, and I don't know how difficult to integrate
it is. BTW, I have no Visual Age for C. And I'm just new to python.

I have emx here, but I can't estimate how difficult it would be
to compile the Visual Age sources with it. I also have rather little
experience in porting. *sigh*

> > If I have overlooked a possibility to activate it, please
> > give me a hint. If not, how difficult would it be to extend
> > Python/2 appropriately? I would appreciate this very much. :)
>
> Can you use idle? Most Python IDE's have some commandline editing
> features.

I have looked for IDLE, but it needs Tkinter, which is not
available for (native) OS/2, as far as I know.

After all, I would like to use the "regular" python interpreter
interactively without the GUI stuff. ;-)

Regards
 Stefan