Python and Paradox

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Fri Jul 9 12:27:09 EDT 1999

Mark Hammond wrote:

> Alexander V. Voinov wrote in message <37852804.54D5D2AD at quasar.ipa.nw.ru>...

> >> Nope, from an ex-Paradox tech support engineer.
>
> Yep, from someone who has :-)  Well, Im probably not technically correct,
> but if you:
> * Install MSAccess
> * Install Paradox drivers from the "Value Pack" (on the CD) - I think this
> does install an ODBC driver even tho we dont use it directly (hence my "not
> technically correct")

Another interesting question, for those who can check it: Does this Paradox DDL
also expose those older direct API, for those who still remember them? If this
engine was _not_ rewritten from the scratch, but just licensed, this would be
possible. But anyway, it's too slow even on the direct level. If one likes to
work with a C API database engine, I'd suggest to purchase Raima Data Manager.
Some time ago I moved a large office application from Paradox to db_Vista
relational submodel and gained great performance benefit. Certainly, I made
Python wrappers for a resonably higher level abstraction over its plain C API.
And RDM's network model would give you even more benefit if you realize how to
use it properly. (I speak it for myself, it's just an experience...)

Alexander