Language extensibility (was: Why is tcl broken?)

David Thornley thornley at visi.com
Sun Jul 4 14:50:49 EDT 1999

In article <m3btdvhrlt.fsf at localhost.localdomain>,
Lieven Marchand  <mal at bewoner.dma.be> wrote:
>cbbrowne at news.brownes.org (Christopher B. Browne) writes:
>
>The difference between Moore and "just another of the opinionated
>fools" is indeed that he gets results. I'm more into Common Lisp these
>days but "Thinking Forth" is a book that has radically changed many of
>my ideas about programming.

I tend to learn new ways of thinking with new languages.  I came up with
a really nice way of doing one particular thing in a C++ environment,
and I'm positive it was inspired by "Lispy" thinking.  (Now if I can
get my boss to buy in on it.....)

"Thinking Forth" is an excellent book to read.  So is Stroustrup's
"Design and Evolution of C++".  I haven't seen a similar book about
the Lisp way of thinking, not counting books specifically on learning
Lisp and doing it well.  Then again, I find Common Lisp revolutionary
enough sometimes.

>gets the work done. Perhaps Forth and Lisp are really duals in the
>language space with Common Lisp and Moore's minimalist Forth on the
>extreme ends. Forth and Lisp (with Basic) are also the languages with

Lisp and Forth are surprisingly similar in some ways, and way different
in others.

--
David H. Thornley                        | If you want my opinion, ask.
david at thornley.net                       | If you don't, flee.