I envy newbies

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jul 16 10:21:03 EDT 1999

Ivan Van Laningham writes:

> Tim "The Insufferably Right" Peters wrote:

Pah. He's not always right. He _is_ always... nevermind...

> Besides, I don't think IDLE will work if you don't have Tcl in your
> path, and if you have to add that, why not add Python?

I think the Tcl install does modify your path. But Python will go
looking for it in the default places. Which is, of course, C:\Program
Files\... [I think it's hilarious that MS was so enamored of their
"advance" in being able to put spaces in paths that they made the
"proper" place to install everything a demo of this "feature"...
Which demos the fact that spaces in path names are a pain in the
ass]. And if tcl80.dll and tk80.dll are on your path (which they
should be, since they get installed to your system directory), then
what needs to be found in the lib\*.tcl stuff. You can point to those
with TCL_LIBRARY and TK_LIBRARY and not mess with PATH at all.

> Well,
> obviously I should go forth and re-format my hard drive and
> re-install W98 and then re-install Python. ...  But I really don't
> feel like a little root canal today,

I think you can get ahold of the install script.

> > can-just-feel-the-linux-folks-melting-with-jealousy<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim
>
> "Yearning for NT when you're running Linux is like lusting for a Big
> Wheel when you're driving a BMW." --Harrison Picot.

More apt would be an cut-rate underpowered "luxury" car (you
know, where you have to turn off the A/C to go up a hill) and a John
Deere. Now Win9x, that's a tinker toy.

- Gordon