htmllib, cgi, HTMLfmt, genCGI, HTMLgen, html, Zope, ...

William Park parkw at better.net
Fri Jul 9 13:02:28 EDT 1999

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 12:48:00PM +0000, Thomas Ackermann wrote:
    <more>...</more>
> Thanx - But i know HTML (and Java) itself already	;-)
> What i do not know are the Python modules for it and wanted to get
> some information from people who used several of the alternatives
> already.  But thanx anyway ...

I downloaded HTMLgen and Zope (and few other packages from
www.python.org), read all their documentations, and installed them.
But, I just couldn't figure out how to use them for my need.  And, no,
I'm not a newbie.

Some time ago, I wanted to generate HTML output with LaTeX-like
structures (ie. numbered sections, math expressions as transparent GIF
images, references, footnotes).  So, I wrote 'HTMLtag' and uploaded to
'ftp.python.org'.  It's not converter like 'html2latex'.  It only spit
out HTML <tag>...</tag> format, as opposed to manually editing .html
file or using lots of 'print' in .py file.

> > > So, what to use to allow for an Internet-Shop with pages created from
> > > databases and allowing customers to purchase over net?
> > >

> > If you're doing such serious things, you should
> >
> >                                      **really**
> >
> > learn web programming!!
>
> Again, i want to use Python and a decent HTML/CGI module, i never said to
> be completely unexperienced with WWW stuff ...

As long as your ISP has Python and mSQL, mySQL, ..., it should be
straight-forward.  There are modules in the python distribution for
parsing HTML and CGI input.  For producing HTML output, it's sort of
up to you, as long as you know HTML.

William Park