Anti-Port scan.... (Port Monitor / Logger)

Benjamin Schollnick junkster at nospam.rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 25 19:31:57 EDT 1999

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:18:59, Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com> wrote:

>     Benjamin> I'm having some activity on my modem that I can't explain, but
>     Benjamin> I run OS/2....  So I can't use NUKENABBER, etc, for Windows to
>     Benjamin> monitor the ports on my "server" box.

> Can you run Linux?  If so, you can use tcpdump to monitor your ppp
> connection.  It's the best way to look at what's really happening on your
> network. (No Python content, but then there are some things with good
> non-Python solutions already.)

I could use IPTRACE which I believe is the OS/2 equivalent of
tcpdump...
And I've already isolated it to being non-tcpip traffic.....

But I really would like to try to make a python program to monitor the
ports anyway.....In a nice clean clear format, unlike IPTRACE.... Just
isolate
the "dangerous" bits, and leave me in piece...

Plus IPTRACE dumps way toooooo much data to the drive/log.  I would
easily start to eat up tooo much disk space...

			- Benjamin