Tcl/Python: Who was first?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Jul 21 08:01:22 EDT 1999

In article <3795ACD5.FCFF67A1 at equi4.com>,
Jean-Claude Wippler  <jcw at equi4.com> wrote:
			.
>Tcl-URL! is also tracked and stored on the Scriptics site and on Linux
>Weekly News, and a few others I believe.  If you scroll to the bottom of
>the first URL page just mentioned, there is a little blurb about the
>background of this.
>
>Cameron and I, both multi-lingual and scripting enthousiasts by choice,
>considered this simple idea to be easily graftable onto other scripting
>communities.  So we started a similar setup for Python, but somehow it
>never reached a stable weekly state.
>
>Which is a big, big, pity if you ask me.  All it would take is for one
>of the leading Pythoneers to take the Python-URL! stick for a month or
>so, and I'm sure we'd be having Python-URL! back on track in no time.
>Soooo... GvR, TP, DA, MH, CT, GM, anyone want to bring this thing back
>on track?  I'm sure many others would be more than happy to follow your
Let's see; Ivan just finished his book, Barry
has Mailman and JPython and starship under con-
trol, ...
>lead and take things from there later on.
>
>If you're interested, please contact Cameron or me.  We can take care of
>all the details and the mechanics, and I'd be happy to commit to do just
>that for a long time, but the real issue here is that volunteers need to
>be willing to come up with a list of 5 to 10 one-liners and URLs they
>wish to highlight each Monday.
>
>Tcl-URL! works well IMO, because it gives an interesting peek into what
>key players choose and find important, and because it is gradually
>building up a stable set of links to main topics, announcements, and
>discussions.  It has become part of the Tcl folklore by now, I guess,
			.
			.
			.
Python-URL! gossip:  I've been close to resurrecting
it all month.  That is, there are so many good posts
to c.l.p, that I've been bursting with desire to
resume writing up the weekly digests.  As a personal
discipline, I've deferred allowing myself this plea-
sure until I wrap up a few other long-standing
obligations.

At least one well-known magazine wants to feature
Python-URL! in its pages.  There's a LOT more we can
do with the concept, once it regains its vigor and
autonomy.  Jean-Claude has slick ideas about making
tiny little searchable packages and cross-references
and ...  It was always quite popular when fresh.

My summary:  if you like Python-URL!, let us know,
and we'll show you how you can contribute to it at
perhaps negative net cost (weekly compilers regular-
ly report they get more out of the process than the
minimal time they invest in it).  We'll take care of
the infrastructure.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX