Meta-language for mxTextTools

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri Jul 16 05:28:14 EDT 1999

"Tony J. Ibbs (Tibs)" wrote:

> Christian Tismer wrote:
> >I remember very well! BCPL is mentioned very rarely on this list!
>
> It is/was a Neat Language - my project at university was written in BCPL,
> and we still used it at Laser-Scan for various utility programs for several
> years after I first joined the company (back in, ye gods, 1980-ish). On the
> other hand, getting lectured by Martin Richards was *not* terribly
> interesting.

At that time, I was involved in a SNOBOL4-ish patternmatcher for
an editing system written in - well, bicipiell.

> Ah, the backwards steps that C took:
>
> "OK - first off, let's reintroduce the dangling else problem. Oh, and whilst
> we're at it, let's use block delimiters that are hard to distinguish from
> parentheses on just about all available printers and terminals [of the time,
> and often still!]."

Whow, yes. That answers the open question which language
should be used for Python 2000. Not C, not C++, but BCPL.
Spitting out C-- assembly code, of course.
(he last one is no joke but the latest work of Peyton Jones)

> Humph. Now, anyone for Algol68?

Sorry to dissappoint you: me again. My very first language
was A68. My second one was Fortran IV.

> Tibs
>
> (time for a plug for the Retrocomputing Museum? I have a link to a mirror
> at:
>     http://www.pdc.kth.se/~jas/retro/
> They have a BCPL compiler, although I haven't tried it...)

Thanks for the good link, I *will* try - ciao - granny chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net