I envy newbies

Nick Bower nick.bower at ssec.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 17 17:50:14 EDT 1999

> Since you indicate you are a beginner, I would like to recommend to
> you O'Reilly's Learning Python by Mark Lutz and David Ascher for
> $23.96 plus shipping from Amazon.com.

When I started out on Python maybe 1.5 years ago, there were only 2
books available in Australia.  So thanks for mentioning this new
"Learning Python" book - it looks more like what I would have wanted at
the time.  But one thing - why the hell is there a rat on the cover???
Anyone??? ;)

> For a more advanced treatment O'Reilly's Programming Python is good.

Have to strongly disagree there :)  This book is soooo long-winded.  I
think the original poster said she had C++ experience, so would have
been confronted with the same reality as me - I need to skim all
this???  I had similar programming experience so found that this book
just didn't cater to these needs.  I actually got up and going on the
smaller web programming book before I bothered to buy Programming
Python.

> of these books are very good at presenting Python is an understandable
> way.

I would lean towards saying this is because Python is understandable,
rather than Programming Python being overly creditable <:)  ie  The
books don't need to be good when Python is as simple as it is imho.

nick