Python Performance

aaron_watters at my-deja.com aaron_watters at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 27 11:37:56 EDT 1999

In article <al8d7xen311.fsf at sirppi.helsinki.fi>,
  Markus Stenberg <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote:

> > Note please that gadfly queries have a certain amount of fixed
overhead.
> > You *might* find that queries over a table with one entry are not
> > much faster than queries over tables with 1000 entries, or maybe
even
> > tables with 10000 entries that have appropriate indices.
> > On second thought 21 queries per second ain't too bad...
> > What are you comparing it to?  Updates are naturally slower
> > since they involve writes to a log file for recovery purposes.
>
> Single select/update's on Solid or MySQL with Python interface do
easily
> 1000/second on trivial tables. (on most boxen)

Hmmm.  Just out of curiousity does gadfly's relative performance
improve if the queries/tables are not trivial?  I tried to make it such
that the fixed overhead for each query would amortize well over
larger datasets and to some extent more complex queries (at least
of some varieties).  I'm not at all surprised that the msql
and Solid fixed overheads are much lower for trivial queries & tables.
(and I wouldn't be surprised if they were generally faster too
esp. since, eg mysql doesn't support transactions and recovery :) ).
   -- Aaron Watters

===

It was a typical military/political decision.
The navy wanted 6 ships and the minister offered 4,
so they compromised on 8.  -- Churchill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/