Maintainability (was Re: Stackless & String-processing)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Thu Jul 22 18:19:05 EDT 1999

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Some modules
> in the standard distribution were designed specifically to support this
> (types and Tkinter come to mind).

In the case of Types, it could easily have been designed
differently. Writing Types.List would not be much harder than
typing Listtype and would be easier to read as well.

As for Tkinter, I've gotten into the habit of always
writing Tkinter.Button, etc. and I think the qualification
is a good idea. It means, for example, I can have a
module called Fancy which implements a custom button
subclass and call it Fancy.Button. I like that better
than having to call the class Fancybutton or something.

So I wouldn't mind much if the * form of import
went away, either. You can easily write a function
which does the same thing if you really, really want it.

Greg