[Q] In-Browser technology

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Jul 21 05:10:48 EDT 1999

[this reply only posted to comp.lang.python -- hope Vladik sees it :)]

In comp.lang.python Vladik <reason at shadow.net> wrote:
> OK, I will try to clarify my question.
> With the warning that I may not be speaking
> authoritatively about the web technologies yet:
> I am just starting this research.

Having followed this thread a little, I still am not sure how much
in browser technology the system you're describing actually _needs_. You
can do a lot with dynamically generated HTML from the server, and some
JavaScript.

Client side action in browsers is hard to do with Python (and Perl and
Eiffel), though I'd wish. Although I must mention jpython here, a version
of Python that runs on top of a Java virtual machine, and can therefore
be used in 'Java' applets (www.jpython.org).

For the server side, where you'd have your business rules and database
functions presumably, I recommend you take a look at Zope. Of course I'm
biased to Python, and Zope uses Python, but it's really very
very nice. Check it out at: http://www.zope.org

Browser technology is hard to do with Python (and Perl and Eiffel) --
browsers don't tend to support these languages.

Regards,

Martijn