New Python language abuse: ++x with bytecodehacks

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Thu Jul 8 11:35:05 EDT 1999

Jeff Epler wrote:

> I know just everyone has always neede to write
> def f(y):
>         x=0
>         while ++x < y:
>                 print x,
>         print
>
> in Python.  Well, you always could write it, but it printed the rather
> boring
> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...........................
> which is probably not what you wanted.  Well, presenting some code using
> Michael Hudson's bytecodehacks.  You can still write the above code, but
> now it will print
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> instead.

Thanks for the big laugh!
This should go into Python's humor pages. :)

but-not-into-prodction-code-please - chris

p.s.: I wondered why Guido didn't optimize a double
unary positive. But he can't, since he has no idea what
this operator does.

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net