Harlequin Is Back!

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Thu Jul 15 11:16:59 EDT 1999

In article <wkn1wzl9kt.fsf at ifi.uio.no>,
Lars Marius Garshol  <larsga at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>* Rainer Joswig
>|
>| How about interfacing to ugly things like MFC?
>
>* Chris Double
>|
>| The windows version of Python manages this if I remember correctly.
>
>You do remember correctly. This is one of the things I like the most
>about Python, compared to languages like Java and Common Lisp: it
>interfaces to everything, including, but not limited to, CORBA, COM,
>Gtk, ActiveX, MFC, XML-RPC, XML, most IETF network protocols, SGML,
>Java, C/C++, Qt, ASP, Apache, tcl and Perl (through Minotaur) and even
>things like IRIX-specific audio interfaces.
>
>Most languages can do this, but the ease with which you can do it in
>Python impresses me and makes it a very attractive glue language.
>
>| My hat is off too them for managing it!
>
>Mine as well. :)
>
>--Lars M.

Lars is right (as usual).  Actually, compared to *any-
thing*, Python seems to arrive first on the interfacing
scene.  This is interesting; Tcl and Lua emphasize ease
of embedding and extensibility in their design, and Perl
has hordes of interfacing worker bees, but a consistent
pattern emerges that Python does at least as well as any
other language in achieving connection to the latest
toolkits-protocols-...  It's an interesting story, even
though I don't yet understand it.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX