win32 python as a dll?

Toby Dickenson htrd90 at zepler.org
Fri Jul 9 17:22:25 EDT 1999

Scott Wolford <wolford at enews.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

>I guess I didn't pose my question properly. Under Unix, can you not link with a
>debug foo.so at link-time, then at run-time load an optimized version, as long
>as the code used to generate the two is roughly the same? It seems to work for
>me. Why can't you do the same thing under Windows?

msvcrt.dll and msvcrtd.dll are not even roughly the same. There are
differences in the data structures behind malloc, fopen, etc. They are
given different names to prevent them getting mixed up.

If optimisation level was the only difference then you would not need
separate .lib files.

Toby Dickenson