Loops and stuff (was Re: Python and Boehm-Demers GC, I have code.)

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Thu Jul 22 21:15:39 EDT 1999

Markus Kohler <markusk at bidra241.bbn.hp.com> wrote:
> Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>> On 21 Jul 1999, Markus Kohler wrote:
>> > Lately ee have had already some examples in this group where loop
>> > overhead was a major factor.
>>
>> Really? When? Sorry, I don't want to sound disbelieving, but I don't
>> remember that.

> It was about reading a file and put the words into some hash table.
> As far as I can remember to loop overhead was a dominating factor.
> And Python was much slower than perl for example.

Well, if I remember correctly, eventually the perl version was slower
then the python optimized version:) The point was that reading bytes is
*much* slower then reading large chunks of data. So it had to do with
disk IO and not looping. Atleast that's what I remember from that thread.
(I checked with deja-news and low and behold I'm right! that is if we
 refer to the same thread titled 'Speed of python' way back in feb:)

--
groetjes, carel